Center of the Universe

 


When our kids are small, we are the center of their universe. We control what and when they eat, when they sleep, what their activities are. We are the single most influential people in their lives. Our opinions and beliefs are all they know.

There is a shift as they start to grow up. Suddenly they have their own opinions and ideas. They are influenced by friends, teachers, the outside world. They become their own person.

This is the way things should be. After all, the goal as a parent is to steer our kids towards independence and to develop a strong sense of self.

I just didn’t realize how hard this stage would be. The process of letting go control as a parent. The kids started school this week. The Girl is in her second year of high school, no longer a newbie. And The Boy just started middle school. I am so proud of them both. They are growing up to be amazing people.  Yet my heart hurts a little because I miss the days when I was their everything.